Dear fellow runners,
We are two 4th year physiotherapy students at Fontys Paramedische Hogeschool Eindhoven. We are currently working on our graduation project on running related injuries and we are looking for participants.
Using new generation smart insoles (ATO-gear, model ARION), we will look at the temporal variability of your running pattern and some specific biomechanical parameters of your running (especially the loading rate of vertical ground reaction force). We will afterward study if a link exists between the temporal variability of your running pattern and your history of running related overuse injuries. The goal would be to help us detect running related overuse injuries through the use of smart insoles, and therefore create specific prevention programs.
You will have to sign an informed consent and fill in a questionnaire that will be sent to you before the data collection. We will arrange an appointment during the week days (weekends will also be possible if no other option can be found), and we will meet at the sport centre to collect the questionnaires and measure your height and weight. You will have to bring your own running shoes, and we will provide you with an ARION insoles. After an explanation of the insole functioning, you will have to do a standardized warm-up, then you will run for 12 minutes, trying to cover the maximum distance possible. You will be reminded of the time every minute, and your exertion will be checked every minute. If you reach a too high exertion, the test will be stopped.
Your data will be anonymous and you are allowed to drop the study at any moment without any consequences.
What are the criteria to take part in the study?
- You have to be older than 18 years old, and younger than 60 years old.
- You run at least once a week for at least one year.
- You have a BMI between 18 and 25.
- You have suffered from an overuse type running related injury around the knee or ankle joint during the last year.
- OR You are running injury-free for at least one year.
- You do not suffer from any cardiovascular disorder or any current medical counter indication running.
- Your main running focus is on a distance between 800 m and 42 km.
- Your shoe size is between 36 and 47.
- You do not wear any prosthetic.
- You need to avoid training during the 24 hours prior to the testing.
Are you interested in taking part in our study? Or do you have any question? Please do not hesitate to contact us by mail or phone.
We hope to hear from you very soon!
Thibault and Guillaume.