You wanna go out and have some fun? Then you are in the correct spot. Here you will find a list of routes where you have to orient yourself on a map and find specific points. This is a test of your map reading skills in all kinds of different terrain. The goal is to travel as fast as possible around the route set out, with only a map and a compass to guide you. At each labeled point on the map, there will be a marker that you will find when you are in the right place. The marker will often look like this or something similar (the city routes are laid with AT stickers) and on the map, it will show you where this point is.
It is up to you to choose your route between these ‘checkpoints’, sometimes cutting straight to the point through the forest is faster, other times navigation is easier on the pathways.
This website has a very good overview of orienteering and can explain some details on a map. For a list of IOF control descriptions (the symbols on the legend on the side of some maps), see this document. The symbols in boxes give more precise details how to find the exact location of a checkpoint.
It’s much more challenging than just going for a run and requires mapreading skills and some thought!
So take the map with you, either printed or on your phone, and a compass (also on your smartphone) and you have a different kind of training you can do alone, out in the sunshine.
If you complete a run and cannot find some of the markers, please let the board know via the AT app or email. Occasionally they are removed by curious members of the public, and if we know they are missing then we can replace them.
- If you do not want to go alone for a run keep the rules of the RIVM in mind, no more than 2 people should do a run together.
The following routes are currently set out and ready to go:
- Orienteering Best, startpoint here. Time to beat is 48 minutes.
- Orienteering Grooteheide Zuid V2, startpoint here
- Orienteering Einderheide, startpoint here. Fastest time is currently 52 minutes.
- Orienteering Oirschotse Heide, startpoint here. Note; at this point in time, marker no. 6 is missing. It will be replaced soon!
- Downtown Eindhoven, startpoint here. Please read/ download the IOF control description document mentioned above, you will need the symbols for this run! The checkpoints are AT stickers, and you may need to look around a little to find some of them.
Old runs that are no longer set out at this point in time: